Thursday, May 28, 2015

American Paradise

Her voice always takes me to the same place
A place of open plains, and a long stretching road that never ends
It flows to the edge of the earth, and back again
She runs her hand on the back of my neck
It'll be okay baby, we'll get goin, we'll figure this place out 
Nothing but space, space to outstretch your arms as far as the horizon
Praying to the sun god, and the beautiful angels of the coast
Where the desert meets the ocean, and the deep blue flows
She looks at me; I can feel her gaze through those big sunglasses
She lights her last cigarette, and exhales slow
Damn it, what happens after perfect? What else is there? 
Modern love, I thought, what a ride
We'd drive till we could smell the Pacific
We'll run down the beach with the rhythms of the shore
The desert devil in the rear view only going till we can't go anymore
Wherever you may be, whatever you'll be doing, you'll remember these days 

No comments:

Post a Comment